Here is an example of how to solve an absolute value equation. Remember to read the lesson on absolute value equations as well.
Basic steps to follow:
1. Isolate the absolute part of the equation- in this example the absolute value is isolated on the left side.
2. Set what is inside of the expression (the absolute value function) to the positive and negative to the number on the right; you will have two equations as you can see in the example below.
3. Solve each equation- these are the solutions (remember absolute value equations always have two solutions).
Important habits to master math:
1. write out all steps
2. be very neat
3. use pencil not pen
4. review your work as your go
5. make sure you know the basics like fractions, positive and negative numbers and order of operations